Hoe and Worthing Archive: 6 & 7 Hoe

 




Crossways1900

6 & 7 Hoe. The older of the two women is Mary Butters. In the census of 1901 Mary Butters lived in the cottages nearer the Angel and James and Ellen Butters with their children in one of these cottages. If the boy in the picture is their youngest, Edward, it would date the photograph to about 1905.



Jay Butters'
                  wedding

The wedding at Hoe on 2nd July 1902 of James Butters (1876-1926) known to all as Jay, born at Swanton Morley and bought up at Hoe in the cottage now known as Crossways. He was a sergeant in the 3rd Battallion of the Norfolk Regiment in the Boer War. His wife was Eliza Rose Wilkin from Bardwell in Suffolk (1877-1975).

The woman on the far left is Lydia, James’ sister; the lad to her left is her son Arthur. Arthur was injured in WWI and is buried in Hoe churchyard: his grave is in the care of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The elderly seated gentleman is Jay’s father, John Butters, buried in Hoe churchyard. Next are James (Jay) Butters, his wife Eliza Rose Butters and Mary Butters, née Kirk, buried in Hoe churchyard. The young girl on the right is believed to be Lydia’s daughter Lillian. The man behind Jay’s left shoulder is his brother Willy Butters, who was a road man and ended up living at North Elmham.

After the wedding, Jay got a job as a coachman at Burgate in Suffolk, then a job at Chelsworth in Suffolk then in 1904 they ended up in Coddenham, Suffolk where they had ten children. Jay died as a result of a tree felling accident in 1926.

Thanks to John Butters for this photograph and story.




Robt barker in trap

The back of 6 & 7 Hoe, on Ayers Lane, c.1900. Driving the trap is Robert Barker, parish clerk for thirty years and an agricultural labourer. With him are his daughter Ann Elizabeth and her son, and her sister Lucy Jane standing by the horse.



Blacks   6 Hoe. Mr & Mrs Henry Black on their Golden Wedding
   Day, 1932. Henry worked as a yardman on a farm.




































Myhills home

Nos. 6 & 7 when still occupied by farm workers and their families. The extension was built in about 1955 and included a bathroom.



Crossways

6 & 7 Hoe became 'Crossways' in the late 1960s when the cottages were bought by Major & Mrs Tyacke. This is Major Tyacke's father in the garden.