Hoe in 1773.
corner of Home Close, the farmhouse shown standing
where Angel farmhouse is today belonged to Thomas
Grounds and may have been where he lived. The present house is a later building,
probably early 19th century.
There was a
pub called the Angel in existence in 1780 and it seems
most likely that it was then housed in the
building in the corner of the adjacent field. It
was not owned by Grounds according to this map
of his estate of just over 100 acres.
of Norfolk Record Office MS4532]
This auction sale notice appeared
in the Norfolk Chronicle in December 1780.
Perhaps the pub was bought then by Thomas
Grounds. He is known from his will to have been
acquiring other property as late as 1827,
shortly before his death, when the estate passed
to his son William.
Grounds certainly owned the pub in 1799 when he
was assessed for the Land Tax.
Proposed railway plan of 1844 (not the version
built) with some added captions. The enlargement
is of the area at the bottom of Ayers Lane where
it joins Hall Road. In the accompanying book
plot 37 is listed as 'Angel Public House' in the
possession of William Grounds and the tenancy of
Plot 35 is described as 'House & Garden,
also owned by William Grounds and tenanted by
Norfolk Record Office C/Scf
1/310 (plan) & 417 (book)
30 Nov 1844]
Map and Apportionment for Hoe, dated 1847, also
lists plot 82
as a public
next to the present Angel (plot 78). In the
ownership of William Grounds of Hoe Hall, George
Harrold was its tenant. There is a gap in the list
of known tenants between 1795 and 1836.
of Norfolk Record Office BR
Neither of the two plans above is a very accurate
and the outlines of the
buildings may be unreliable.
The railway plan of 1845 (the
line built) shows the building
now Angel farmhouse in its
actual ground plan and may
perhaps be relied on for the
other buildings, which would
show that Grounds had not yet
begun or at least not
completed his rebuilding of the
adjacent cottages, now
Crossways and Flint House.
[Courtesy of Norfolk
Record Office C/Scf
1/244 30 Nov 1845]
Norfolk Record Office BR
379/Hood, Vores & Allwood,
14/03/1980/Box 70 Survey of Hoe
& Dillington 1814]
1814, just after the enclosure, another survey
was carried out in which Thomas Grounds was
assessed for the Angel pub, and John Patteson,
the Norwich brewer, was assessed for a public
house called the Wheat Sheaf. Unfortunately
the plan accompanying this survey does not
survive – it would have identified the
location of the pub. Offered
for sale by in 1819 and again on 23rd
November 1821 was a
This description is sufficiently
detailed as to be almost certainly that of the
house which later became the Angel pub and
remained so until its closure in 1932.
To be SOLD BY AUCTION
At the Kings Arms at East Dereham.
All that new brick and tile
PUBLIC HOUSE called the Wheat Sheaf,
situate at Hoe near East Dereham, consisting of a
kitchen, dairy, cellar, wash-house, parlour, five
good sleeping rooms, stable, cow-house,
and coal-house with a garden, orchard and piece of
arable land at the back of the building.
Did William Grounds buy the house to remove any
competition with the Angel? Did he already have in
mind moving the Angel's licence to the new
building? If so, it doesn't appear to have
happened until some time after 1847. At some point in the mid 19th century
Grounds rebuilt some of his estate cottages and
others disappeared, presumably demolished. The two we know today as Crossways
and Flint House look as if they may be in part from that date.
Perhaps that's when the Angel moved from its old
home to the new.
Also unexplained is how and when John Patteson
came to own the property. It had belonged to the
Grounds family at least since 1773.
After the pub's closure it
remained a small farm which continued
until the 1960s, when it was run by
In the 1861 census there were two lodgers at the
Angel, drovers from Fransham, and an elderly widow
boarder, 'on the parish'.
The Angel in about 1915. The side door at the left was
the pub entrance; the single public room has a stone floor,
unlike others in the house. Beyond the door, at
ground level, is the cellar window. Beer was brought up by hand from the
cellar into the kitchen, in the range of older
buildings behind, and served through a small hatch.
The photo was taken by
Vernon Gladden who was staying there with the Ayers
family, who were his relatives.
Walter Ayers was landlord of the pub from 1888
to 1923. Here are his daughters Lily, Edie (seated in
the donkey cart) and Florence in 1905.
Edith died the year after the photograph was taken.
Walter Ayers was a farmer as well as a
publican. In 1901 he lost four corn
Theophilus (Dick) Barker and friend by the Angel garden
wall. Cycling was a craze in the early 1900s.
May 1927. Counties had been obliged to set up
professional police forces by an act of parliament in
1856, so quite why Hoe parishioners were still being
appointed as constables, the system which preceded the
police, isn't clear.
The Angel ceased trading as a pub
Hoe has been dry since then.
Ron and Jean Wright at the Angel back door. Bertie
Holliday, the farmer, was very well liked by everyone.
May 1942. Didn't anyone walk?
Janet Holliday's wedding, 1959.
The Angel in about 1985. The door to the bar has
been bricked up.
The barn was converted to be part of the house about
1980 by the then owner, Graham Baker. Graham is a
film director and made Leaving Lily, a WWI
story, some of which is set in Hoe and which Norman
Abbott (see The Chestnuts) acted in.
Eilean MacGibbon in the byre, 1985.
The telephone box doesn't get much custom now. It is
a K6, designed by Sir
Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935,
and is a Grade II listed building.