On the inclosure map of 1814, what appear to be
extensive pits are shown in plot No. 89.
[Courtesy of Norfolk Record Office C/Sca/2/243]
For most of the
nineteenth century, the brickyard was in the tenancy
of the Kitteringham family. William is head of the
family in the census of 1841 and they continue until
1891, when Downing Kitteringham was the manager. He
also enumerated the censuses for Hoe in 1881 and
details and plan from the auction catalogue of the
Bylaugh park estate, 1917.
Plot 7 on the plan is described as ĎA piece of Market
Garden Groundí. It was bought by a Mr E. F. Howard for
£100. Perhaps he supplied the market in Dereham with
Alec Anderson lived most of his life at Brick Kiln
farm cottages and worked at Dillington Hall farm. He
was a dispatch rider in the Home Guard during WWII.
This photo is from September 1952.
The first combine harvester in the area, a Claas.
Originally without its own engine and powered by the
tractor, it was modfied with the addition of a Ford
industrial engine on top. Alec Anderson is driving the
tractor. August 1952.
Alfred Bunting, March 1958
barley straw at Brick Kiln farm in August 1968. The
newspaper report records a late harvest that year.
Brick Kiln farmhouse when it belonged to Vic and
Eileen Ringwood in the 1970s. They had a business
called Spinners in the small white building, selling
fleece, yarn, dyes and spinning equipment.
The house has been extended since then, but the
Bylaugh estate chimneys still stand out.
Rabbit's Foot barn was converted into a house in the
1980s. It was formerly part of the agricultural
buildings of Manor farm, Hoe.
The highest land in Hoe is at Brick Kiln Farm, 64 metres
above OD. The soil is lighter and sandier than elsewhere
and on old maps is called Staunton Heath, suggesting
that it wasn't good arable land. On the map of the
Helwys estate from the late eighteenth century part of
it is marked as The Fold Course.
The Lord of the Manor had the right to graze the Fold
Course with his sheep. The land was only periodically
cropped because it was
poor soil, like the Brecks. The soil was fertilized by
the animals and could then be cropped.
In recent years the land has been used for raising pigs
outdoors. Flocks of wintering lapwings appreciate the
The heath, looking towards Dereham.