used to be called Allotment Lane.
This map of 1933 is from a conveyance. In 1921,
Henry Walter Fox of Dereham, farmer, bought ‘all
those several pieces, parcels or closes of land’,
amounting to 10a 2r 12p, ‘in the occupation of the
purchaser’ from Noel Byam Grounds for £100. Grounds
was the owner of the Hoe Hall estate. The land is
described as 'rough'. In 1931, Fox sold some of the
plots to Edward Melton, the builder in Beetley.
The gravel pit was allotted to the Surveyors of the
Highways in the Inclosure Award of 1817 for
In 1932 Dorothy Wells
bought one of the plots and
built 'Wrystawhyl'; she married
Walter Rix in 1938.
Wrystawhyl was renamed Rowan in
currently it is Camino.
Walter Rix was a retired fruit farmer from Swanton
Albert and Pearl Stagles built their bungalow in the
1960s. This photo was taken before work on the house
started; the boxer is Hadee, their first.
Albert and Pearl in their new house.
Albert raised pigs and cattle. The wooded area was
formerly a gravel pit. This was the drought year of
in the gravel pit came close to the house
and animal sheds.