This photo of
Hoe Hall is believed to show the Grounds family at Hoe
Hall. The family moved from the Hall at some time
between 1872 and 1881 and thereafter rented it out,
selling it finally around 1917.
Pevsner's The Buildings of England describes
the front as 'Early c19 façade of grey brick with
giant pilasters and a porch.' However, there's no
mention of the back part of the house with its
octagonal chimneys. English Heritage dates the back to
the 17th century.
In 1845 William Grounds had part of the old house
demolished and the new, larger part added to it. The specification
the work costing £1295 5s 5d. George Harrold was the
This part of the specification lists the stonework –
sills, floors, fireplaces, etc. It notes that William
Grounds had 'an old Portico' which was repaired and
fitted to the new front of the house.
Grounds inherited the estate on the death
Thomas Byam Grounds, photographed aged
father, Thomas, in
1827. He died in
TBG – the monogram of Thomas Byam Grounds on the
gateway to the churchyard. The device also appears on
the gables of 1 & 2 Hoe with the date 1872, at
he was thirty years old. Thomas inherited the estate
from his father, William, in 1866. An earlier Thomas, his
grandfather, was churchwarden in 1785.
Joseph Perkins, who worked as a groom for
the Grounds family at Hoe Hall. In
the census of 1861
his age is 65. The death of a
Joseph Perkins is
recorded in 1865, most likely him,
so this photo is
probably from the 1860s.
The Hall in
flower! The neat beds and the prominent exotic plant are
characteristic of Victorian gardening.
1873 the implements, live and dead stock of the farm
were sold, and the Grounds family moved away from Hoe
around that time. The catalogue of the sale lists the
purchasers of the various lots, amongst them Samuel
Norton, whose father, also
Samuel, had farmed Manor Farm
Samuel jr then
took on the tenancy of
having spent over £500 on
stock. He also took on
harvested crops valued
at over £1000.
However, Thomas Grounds continued
to add to his
estate whenever land
available. When Azariah
Waters sold Hoe
Lodge in 1890,
bought two lots that
filled in gaps: 'We think it
will be an
advantage if these lots are
your property and therefore
at the sale'.
Lot 4 is a meadow near Spring
the little building numbered 41 housed a
smithy, according to Peggy
[Map Courtesy of Norfolk
BR 379/Hood, Vores
Faith Evelyn Wigg
(1874-1899) was the daughter of
Charles Heyhoe Wigg and his wife
Ann (née Grounds).
Faith Wigg's death is recorded at
Lowestoft, at such an
early age that she may
perhaps have suffered
Charles Wigg is recorded in
the 1881 census at Hoe
Hall as a farmer of 700
acres employing fourteen men
and six boys.
Thomas Byam Grounds, Ann's
brother, was visiting Hoe
Hall at the time of the
1881 census. In the census ten
years earlier he
had been resident at Hoe Hall with
widowed mother Ann.
Charles Wigg's wife Ann
died in August 1889 aged 53
and he ceases to be the
tenant at Hoe Hall. He went to
farm at Mowles Manor,
Etling Green, near Dereham.
Roots had taken on the farm tenancy by
bad weather in July 1893.
July 1895 the Hall tenancy
to have changed hands
again, to a Mr
Brown was worried he
might be sacked
for being drunk.
In 1900 Thomas Byam Grounds let the Hall
Farm to George Bagnall
for a term of eight years*
and the 1901 census shows that
the Hall was occupied by Bagnall and his
family. George was most
likely to be the first person
in Hoe to have owned a car. J.
J. Wright, engineers in
Dereham, were agents for a
wide range of makes including
Ariel, better known later for
motorcycles. The Wright
company records show the sale
of a car in 1899 to George
Bagnall of Hoe Hall. It was
probably a Quadcycle, costing
Norfolk Record Office MC
Two intriguing photographs
from the early 1900s. The location is
the same in both and is thought to be in
Hoe but hasn't been identified. Names of
several Hoe residents present, including
Peggy Butterfield's Barker grandparents,
are known. Peggy Butterfield described
the photographs as being of 'the entire
staff of the Hoe estate'. She identified the smart man
at the extreme right of the upper
picture as Samuel Norton, the father
of her step-father Cyril Norton.
Samuel died in 1903, giving a latest
date for the pictures. Very
similar photographs were taken in other
Norfolk villages to celebrate the
coronation of 1902 and 1911 (see Discovering
Old Norfolk, … the Photographs of Tom
Nokes by Susan Wright [Halsgrove,
and their children George Barry and Kathleen
living at Gorgate
Hall in 1891 where, according to the census,
George was a Warwickshire born farmer. Their
second son, Reginald St Vincent, was born at
Hoe Hall the same year following the
family’s move there. Above: Elizabeth and
Elizabeth Bagnall, née Hyatt, was from
Birmingham. Both her mother, also Elizabeth,
and her sister Eliza are buried in Hoe
churchyard. They died within months of each
other, Eliza aged 46 and Elizabeth 82, in
1899 & 1900.
Kathleen and Reginald St Vincent Bagnall.
Reginald fought with the County of London
Yeomanry during WWI having first enlisted
whilst in Canada in 1914. After the war he
went on to farm in Norfolk.
George Barry Bagnall as a young man.
George Barry died in a fiercely
fought battle east of
Arras in April
1917. He is commemorated
photographed in the early 1920s, when it was let to the
Dereham Times, 3 February 1945.
During the 1940s the Hall was
tenanted by the
On 24 March
Dereham Times reports
"Great Record of the
Norfolk Yeomanry –
Officers and Men in Grand Heart
Bound for Berlin". It
continues: "The history of
the Norfolk Yeomanry was outlined …
second-in-command, Major J.J.
of Hoe Hall, Dereham, grandson of
Colonel H.A. Barclay, of Hanworth
association with the regiment is
Major Barclay's father, Lieut-Col.
also of Hoe Hall, having fought
with it in the
Great War, serving for a period as
Major Barclay … won his M.C. at
Bocage in Normandy … ."
Hall was divided and let to two families
in the 1950s, the Standleys and the
Gowings. Tennis at Hoe Hall: (standing)
David Standley and Anne Abbott (from the
Chestnuts), Ian Harper and unknown.
photograph from 1960.
Penelope Keith, Eve
Abbott and an American visitor
whose mother had had relations in
Hoe, outside Hoe Hall.
The Hall farm
is a very jolly group, thought to have
been taken at Field House farm, Swanton
Morley, in the early 1940s. Back row,
left to right, are Cecil Nunn, Ted
Butters snr, Albert Dawson, Joseph
Brooks, Charlie Holmes; front row: Ivy
Butters, Stanley Sutton, Winnie Butters,
unknown, Sid Dack.
House sold for £11,000 with about
900 acres when the Bylaugh estate was
broken up in
C. Keith lived at Field House and farmed
Hoe Hall farm in the 1940s when this
picture was taken. Most of the people
here lived in Hoe.
Ted Butters (second from left) and mates
Snap – Ted Butters on the right.
A shooting party on Ayers Lane. Cliff
Hudson (extreme right) worked as Keiths'
gamekeeper for many years.