Hoe and Worthing Archive: Manor Farm 

 


In 1693 the Manor of Hoe Harfords alias Colvilles was conveyed from William and Elizabeth Frith to Daniel Farrington. The land is itemised in the conveyance and is situated to the west of the Dereham-to-Holt road in the area known then as Stanton Heath. The manor was later acquired by the Lombe family who owned it at the time of the Inclosure. At the sale of the Lombe's Bylaugh estate, some of the land was parcelled with Manor Farm, making it possible that the following description in the 1693 conveyance relates to Manor Farm and tells us what the house was like then.

conveyance

And also one Freehold Dwelling house in Hoe afsd. Containing in Length from the north to the south on the east side thereof 33 ffeet or thereabouts & on the west side thereof together with the scullery built at the North End thereof 38 ffeet 9 inches or thereabouts & in breadth 21 ffeet or thereabouts Containg One Low room called the Little Parlour with a chimney in it One other low room with a chimney in it called the Kitchen one other Low Room being the scullery One wainscott Room and closett called the Kitchen Chamber & Closett over the afsd Parlour Kitchen & Scullery and Two High Loft Chambers and one High Loft Closett over the same Kitchen Chamber & Closett 

 
[Courtesy of Norfolk Record Office EVL361/31/9]



manor farm map

On the Inclosure map of 1814, the old course of the road is shown, running through what is now the farm yard. The long grey building next to plot 20 is described as a Malt Office, and the farmhouse is shown in pink. Sir John Lombe was Lord of the Manor, lived at Bylaugh Hall and owned a very large estate including Manor Farm in Hoe and Home Farm in Worthing.

[Courtesy of Norfolk Record Office C/Sca/2/243]




tithe map

The tithe map surveyed in 1847 shows the road's present route as well as the path of the railway then being built (in pink).

[Courtesy of Norfolk Record Office BR 276/1/119]



Norton 1851 census

In 1851, Samuel Norton was the farmer, having 400 acres and employing sixteen labourers and four boys. His son Samuel would live at Spring Farm in 1901.



Manor Farm postcard

This lovely postcard shows Manor Farmhouse, the stackyard, and stables beyond. It looks as if the stacks are in the process of being built just after harvest with a laden wagon waiting to be emptied. The roads are not yet tarmaced. The card was posted on 30th August 1915 to London by Vernon Gladden, aged eleven, who was staying with relatives at the Angel pub just up the road.

So far, this is the only postcard of Hoe that has come to light. The car is a Humberette. J. J. Wrights, in Dereham, were Humber agents, as well as selling other makes including Ariel, one of which is thought to have been the first car owned in Hoe.



Manor farm

The farmhouse in 2011. Behind the brick is a very old timber-framed building. Manor Farm belonged to the Bylaugh estate and the porch, double-flue chimneys and chamfered window frames are all characteristic of the work done by Norwich architect Thomas Jeckyll who was employed to improve farmhouses and farm buildings on the estate in the 1870s.

In 1917 when the Bylaugh estate was sold, the catalogue contained the following description: ‘It is rarely that an estate is met with, upon which the houses and buildings are of so universally an excellent and spacious a character. They are not of piecemeal construction, but each set has been designed and built as a whole and is complete with its enclosed yards, sheltered and open to the South, its stalls and feeding passages, and all implement and cart lodges open to the North.’

Manor Farm consisted then of 466 acres and four cottages as well as the large barn at Hoe Brick Kiln. At the auction it was withdrawn at £5,500 but sold later to the tenant, Henry Walter Fox. In the 1911 census Fox was the tenant. He was 37 years old and from Beetley. His wife Edith, from Dereham, was 29 and they had two young children, Dorothy, 2 years, and Edith, 9 months, both born in Hoe.

Just to the north-west of Manor Farm house a field was already being dug for gravel in 1917, when the ‘approximate royalty from working … is £45 per annum’. In the 1946 RAF aerial photo below, the extent of the quarry can be seen – it eventually took in the whole of the striped field (called Hill Close on earlier maps).

quarry aerial


[Copyright Norfolk County Council; photo by RAF 31 January 1946]



Baker funeral    The farm was bought by Frederick Baker in 1920 and
    following his death by
Peter and Alice Gow who lived
    there from
1945.











































































pond

The large pond at Manor Farm can be seen on the maps above. The head of water was used to power a horizontal turbine installed near the adjacent barns, driving grinding and chaff cutting machinery inside the buildings.



WHLown    Mr William Lown, farm steward, 1946.



Mrs Lown

Mrs Emily Lown in the garden of Manor Farm cottages, 1946.   




Herbert Jarvis

Herbert Jarvis hedging at Manor Farm, 1954.



water arrives

water text
    October 1969 brought piped water and
    champagne to Manor Farm.














































































Manor Farm cottages

aerial photo

Aerial view of Manor Farm cottages, Barkers Lane, 1976. Stanley Mendham's glasshouses grew from a hobby to a nursery on Swanton Road, Dereham. Sonny and Doris Brown's very well kept vegetable garden is next door. The kitchen garden at the right was Mrs Gow's (Manor Farm).



Manor farm
                                                    cottages

The roadside end of Manor Farm cottages. The changes in building materials suggest that they were originally single storey with a steeply pitched roof, perhaps thatched, and with a small window in the gable.



Fazzani

Hazel Fazzani (née Norton) whose ancestors lived at Manor Farm, with her son the Rev Keith Fazzani, outside Hoe Church 2012.