A plan of 1844 proposed a railway from Thetford to
Wells. It would have run a few hundred yards to the
east of the route actually built. The detailed area
of the map shows the junction of Ayers Lane and Hall
Road. The route went through the field numbered 15,
the meadow next to Spring Farm. The surveyor appears
to have been confused - the direction 'To Swaffham'
should presumably read 'To Swanton Morley'.
[Courtesy of Norfolk Record
Office C/Scf 1/310]
The 1845 Wells and Dereham plan was the one
built. The buildings on the map are The Angel
Inn and nearby cottages.
of Norfolk Record Office C/Scf 1/244]
This is an engine from 1850.
© National Railway Museum and SSPL
The report of the mysterious death of an
unknown woman on the railway at Hoe, March
1908. The inquest was held in The Angel Inn.
Baldwin, platelayer with the Great
Eastern Railway, his wife
(née Ringer) and their
lived at Hoe Gatehouse at
the time of
the 1911 census.
May Bottomley lived at Hoe crossing
Gatehouse. August Bank Holiday 1935.
A passenger service heading south towards
Dereham photographed from the road bridge,
Hoe, October 1951.
A still from a film of a train journey from
Dereham to Fakenham in the 1960s. The
northbound train has stopped at Hoe
Gatehouse for the gates to be opened. The
Gatehouse, built in 1851 and demolished in
1977, was still lived in when this was
of Transport Video Publishing
from the film Pick Up
The crossing in June 2008 before the road
In July the road was closed and work began
to widen the crossing.
Relaying the track with new sleepers.
The road bridge was strengthened with a
new concrete deck in August 2008.
The line closed to passengers in1964 and
to freight in1989. In 2008 the Mid
Norfolk Railway Trust's work to re-open
the line saw the first train crawl along
from Dereham. By
May 2013 the restoration of the track
to passenger-carrying standard reached
as far as Hoe.
An excursion from London St Pancras
for rail enthusiasts in the high-speed
train 'Sheffield Star' in May 2013 a
first for Hoe.
In March 2014 an excursion came from
The hunt was out that day too.
The limit of the restored track, where
the hunt crossed the bridge and the
excursion stopped before returning to
March 2015 repairing the track north
of Hoe crossing new sleepers and new
January 2016 clearing the sides of
the cutting north of Hoe crossing.