The Parish Room was built in 1912 and has served as
a reading room, men's club and venue for meetings
and celebrations. This report is from September
In 1918, Noel Byam Grounds, owner of Hoe Hall, gave
the plot of land shown here in red to the church for
an extension to the burial ground. The Parish Room
is the little white rectangle in the corner. Grounds
was an officer in the army, resident in London.
[Courtesy of Norfolk Record Office CSP 21/10]
Staff from Breckland District Council on a
team-building exercise in 2010 cleaned and
redecorated the room in a day.
The first exhibition of the Hoe & Worthing
Archive in the Parish Room, 2010.
In 2013, with a grant of money from Norfolk County
Council, an extension was added to the Parish Room
including a kitchen, lavatories and a paved area
outside. This was the first improvement to the Room
since Major & Mrs Wormald had generously paid
for what was described as an 'inner-room', in 1935.
An overgrown area of the churchyard was cleared.
Getting concrete onto the site was tricky.
The drainage tank before it was buried.
Old and new
The new kitchen.
In March 2014 soldiers from the Light Dragoons based
at Swanton Morley generously volunteered to help
with the landscaping following the building of the