Swanton Morley airfield was built in 1940 and was the
base for a squadron of Blenheim bombers until 1941. It
kept its grass runways until closed by the RAF in
1995. A large part of the airfield is in Worthing and
the site retains some of its structures including a
hangar and three Pickett-Hamilton forts which are
Three Pickett-Hamilton forts.
A road running south-east from Worthing church to
Swanton Morley was closed when the airfield was built
and its track is visible here crossing the runways.
Norfolk County Council; photo by RAF 30 March
made permanent in 1947.
details of the airfield and its history can be
found on the Norfolk Heritage Explorer website
(The topographical index to the Norfolk Heritage
website is confusing as it refers to Worthing
entries as being in Hoe, that being the
shortened name of the joint civil parish. To
find Worthing entries, search Hoe.)