This Ladbrooke lithograph is from 1823.Far
from being 'in ruins', as it was described in 1797 on
Faden's map, the building looks much as it does now.
'The Church or Chapel, orientation 4° south, dedicated to St. Margaret,
consists only of a Perpendicular nave of small
proportions, with a round tower at the west end,
same height, and a south porch. The chancel has been
destroyed and the east end of the nave bricked up.
There is one bell in the tower bearing the inscription
‘Thomas Newman of Norwich made me in 1744.’In
Blomefield’s time the Church was covered with lead,
and the chancel with thatch; the steeple was in ruins,
and in the Church stood one bell bearing the
inscription ‘In eternis annisresona
campana Johannis.’ (John's bell rings for
[From T. Hugh Bryant Norfolk Churches,
The former route of the road is shown
on the inclosure map of 1814.
[Courtesy of Norfolk Record Office
The south porch doorway has a
Scratched into the stone work by the south door are
two mass dials. As these graffiti are intended to cast
shadows, like sundials, they must have been made
before the porch was built.
Parishioners were busy raising money in 1920 for a
church restoration fund.
October 1932. Modernisation is slow to arrive.
Replacing the pews in 1991.
Jane Wales and Val Knight embroidered a new
kneeler for the altar rail.
Reroofing the church in 1995.
Lothian making the new bell frame
The new bell frame in place in the tower. The bell
is Thomas Newman's of 1744.
Graham Smith and friend repointing the churchyard
wall in 2005.
Repairing the tower parapet and bell-chamber louvres
in June 2011.
The new louvres for the bell chamber openings.
The interior is plain and unusual in that there is
no window in the east wall. The large blocked-up
arch would have opened into the chancel.
elaborately carved niche is a survivor of
the church's medieval spendour.
Recent wall repairs at Worthing church, 2016.
The wall at the east end revealed an infilled opening once stripped of the old plaster.