map (1814) shows the mill and its pond and leet,
occupied by Howell & Lacey. The site of the mill
has probably been used since medieval times. In a sale
advertisement published in the Norfolk Chronicle
in 1861, the present mill was described as being
the Mill House
bear the name T. W. Merrison on one
and the date Feb. 28 1846 on the
Thomas William Merrison died in 1885
and his widow in 1907, when the mill
was sold. Both are buried in Worthing
In 1900 Mrs Merrison had complained
to the courts of the nuisance
from the Tannery when
an outbreak of typhoid. There is a
full account from the newspaper on the
In 1887 Annie Merrison insured the mill with its four
pairs of stones, water wheel and outbuidlings as well
as the mill house for £780.
photograph of the mill in the 1930s, upstream side.
It was used as a store.
The remains of the water wheel in the
The downstream side of the mill, 1930s.
See the Norfolk Mills website http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Watermills/worthing.html for detailed
information on the mill, including a diagram of the
mechanism at http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/watermill-machinery.html
1934 – winter sports near the mill.