'Particulars and conditions of sale
of valuable public houses and premises in the County
Which will be sold by auction by Mr J. Culley on
Saturday the 6th day of March, 1819, at the Angel
Inn, Market Place, Norwich precisely at three
o’clock in the afternoon.
Lot 7 – The Horse Shoes, at Worthing
[Now Tanner's Arms
Consisting of a kitchen, parlour, wash house,
cellar, two sleeping rooms and stable with two
pieces of excellent arable land containing
altogether about an acre and half.
Occupied by John Wells. Copyhold of the Manor of
Swanton Morley - fine arbitrary – land tax per ann.
4s – quit rent 6d.'
The Inclosure map (1814) shows Plot 5 in the
occupation of Samuel Hall. He would have been a
copyhold tenant of the Manor of Swanton Morley.
The Worthing tithe map of 1847 shows Plot 9
belonging to William Bircham, in the occupation of
George Ayers, 'Horse Shoes public house'.
In June 1901 Fanny Bailey, the licensee, had trouble
with James Phillippo.
In March 1913, the pub was referred to the licencing
meeting of the Mitford & Launditch Police
Division for compensation. That meant that the
owners, Bullards of Norwich, would receive
compensation for the loss of the licence and the pub
would close. This usually happened as a result of
police advice to the magistrates that the pub was
badly run and a source of trouble, or that there
were enough other pubs in the locality.
In June 1957 the Norwich brewers Youngs, Crawshaw
& Youngs sold the house to P. D. Chapman Ltd at
the Tannery. In 1975 Mr & Mrs Desmond
bought it for conversion to a single dwelling.
A local newspaper report from about 1979
describing the DIY conversion.
sold the house in 1980, almost as soon as it had