Hoe and Worthing Archive: The Tanner’s Arms  


Tanners Arms
'Stables Cottage' in 2015. The house was converted from cottages in the late 1970s having for most of its life been a pub, first recorded as Lot No. 25 in the sale of John Day's Brewery, Norwich, in 1794. It appears as the Three Horse Shoes in the September 1795 Launditch Licence Register.

It was for sale again in 1819:
'Particulars and conditions of sale of valuable public houses and premises in the County of Norfolk.
Which will be sold by auction by Mr J. Culley on Saturday the 6th day of March, 1819, at the Angel Inn, Market Place, Norwich precisely at three o’clock in the afternoon.

Lot 7 – The Horse Shoes, at Worthing (nr. Elmham)
[Now Tanner's Arms written alongside]

Consisting of a kitchen, parlour, wash house, cellar, two sleeping rooms and stable with two pieces of excellent arable land containing altogether about an acre and half.

Occupied by John Wells. Copyhold of the Manor of Swanton Morley - fine arbitrary – land tax per ann. 4s – quit rent 6d.'


The Inclosure map (1814) shows Plot 5 in the occupation of Samuel Hall. He would have been a copyhold tenant of the Manor of Swanton Morley.

The Worthing tithe map of 1847 shows Plot 9 belonging to William Bircham, in the occupation of George Ayers, 'Horse Shoes public house'.

Phillippo at Tanners Arms

In June 1901 Fanny Bailey, the licensee, had trouble with James Phillippo.

In March 1913, the pub was referred to the licencing meeting of the Mitford & Launditch Police Division for compensation. That meant that the owners, Bullards of Norwich, would receive compensation for the loss of the licence and the pub would close. This usually happened as a result of police advice to the magistrates that the pub was badly run and a source of trouble, or that there were enough other pubs in the locality.

In June 1957 the Norwich brewers Youngs, Crawshaw & Youngs sold the house to P. D. Chapman Ltd at the Tannery. In 1975  Mr & Mrs Desmond bought it for conversion to a single dwelling.


A local newspaper report from about 1979 describing the DIY conversion.
The Desmonds sold the house in 1980, almost as soon as it had been finished.