Advertisement from the Bury &
Norwich Post, 29 June 1814 –
reward of a guinea would
been equivalent to about three week's
wages for a farm labourer.
July and August 1900 – results of quoits matches between
Hoe and the London Tavern, Baxter Row, Dereham. Hoe won
A petrol tanker fire in 1929. It appears to be on the
main road at Brick Kiln farm.
An ambitious scheme from November
which would have seen a suburb of
built in the countryside at Hoe.
The Diamond Wedding of Mr and Mrs E H Evans-Lombe in
1946. The Evans-Lombes still hold the Manor of Hoe
Sir Edward is the current Lord.
This photo, given by Maurice Eglen, shows (from the
left) his father, Albert, with Lennie Butters, Joe
Banthorpe, and Sgt. Riches. Maurice thinks there were
then ten men in the Hoe Home Guard. Alec Anderson was
the despatch rider.
On the reverse: 'Farewell to our rifles! Nov 26 1944
Wishing you all a Happy New Year
V I Wood
The Home Guard photographed at Hoe Hall. Most men have
been identified – (back row, from
left) Lennie Butters, Edward Butters, Bertie
Holiday, C. Anderson, Jack Jarrett, R. Burton, [?].
(Middle row) Cecil Annis, Charlie Holmes. Sgt. Riches,
Richard Fisher, [?], Dick Sparkes. (Front row) – Fisher,
– Snowdon. The Home Guard practiced in the maze of
trenches still visible on Hoe Common.
Hoe's footballers didn't have much
luck in 1953.
Armstrong's diary for January 1st 1854 reads 'Drove
to take the service at Hoe in a sleigh, the snow
being too deep for wheels. Had some difficulty in
getting through a drift where the horse was above
his knees in snow. There were nineteen communicants,
and I can hardly tell how they got through the snow
In November 1878 he wrote, 'We have had a week of
incessant rain, day and night. In Hoe a railway
bridge has been carried away.'
Press photos of blizzards in March 1958 and January
The text reads: 'A week after the blizzard, some
minor roads in Mid-Norfolk were still impassable, with
over a foot of snow covering them from hedge to hedge.
Two of the roads into Hoe, for example, were still
blocked on Tuesday even though three days of warm
spring sunshine had caused an extensive thaw.'
Without its own school, Hoe's children attended schools
in Dereham or Swanton Morley. Dereham's National
School stood on the corner of Theatre Street and
Revd Armstrong records that, in May 1856, Mr Norton,
of Hoe, brought fourteen children of that parish to
the National School, engaged a woman to collect them
every morning, became a subscriber, and paid for them
all for a month. This is the more encouraging when
done in the face of the sneers of the farmers who
Mr Norton was Samuel Norton, who
was the tenant farmer at Manor Farm.
joined the RSPB's Bird and Tree
Scheme in 1908. Swanton Morley won
award three times in the 1930s, E. C.
manager of the school board and was
at the events.
Doris Holmes (back row, sixth from left) was the
daughter of Charles and Gertrude Holmes who lived at 14
Hoe. E. C. Keith stands at the right.
Swanton Morley School sports team, June
1939 – can you name anyone?
A USAF Phantom jet crashed in Hoe in March 1969. The
field in which the plane crashed is still called
Bentwaters after the aircraft's home base.
Coincidentally, Philip Stroulger was one of the first to
reach the scene – he biked from Dereham.
These ash and oak trees were planted in Ayers Lane in
May 1985 by local volunteers. The young trees were
provided by Norfolk County Council as part of a tree
planting scheme. The 2014 outbreak of Chalara
fraxinea is a threat to the ashes which they may
Further up Ayers lane, under the ivy, is a World War II
type 22 concrete pillbox, probably from 1940. In the
nearby field there was a searchlight battery associated
with Swanton Morley airfield that it may have been built
For more details of this and other WWII installations
In March 2016 a group of air cadets from Dereham
volunteered to uncover the pillbox. On a particularly
bleak morning they got to work and very soon had the ivy
and brambles cleared off and all the accumulated rubbish
removed. A fantastic effort!
Hoe's Victorian letterbox was built into
the wall near the Parish Room. The
slot was so narrow that only the
smallest letter could be posted
having to be bent. In February 2016
was stolen – Adam Flack discovered
Eventually, in October 2016, a new box was installed,
but not by the Hall. Royal Mail decided that the old
site was not safe from passing traffic, there being no
pavement or verge. No sign of a pavement here either, or
anywhere else in the village, but this location just off
Hall Road was thought quieter.
Functional, rather than attractive!