and Lucy Norton with their turkeys.
Lucy Norton's album,1920s/30s
Norton (née Barker) married Fred Butterfield and
later, Cyril Norton of Spring Farm. Her daughter
Mabel Butterﬁeld passed the photograph album on to
her own daughter, Mary Hubbard.
Lucy Norton and her daughter Mabel Butterfield.
feeding the hens and ducks by the barn. Stackyard in
Reaper binder – a new-fangled contraption?
Lucy Norton doing the 'howgee' boy's job.
had a pet pig.
Tea in the
of Mabel Butterﬁeld, 1938. Cyril and Lucy Norton are
at the back, right.
was built about 1800, probably on common land. The
estate map dated 1775 (on the Village page) shows
common land extending as far south as the east-west
road through the village, now Hall Road, including
the area where Spring Farm stands.
Originally, it was likely to have been one-up,
one-down with a lean-to on the back. The front door
was where the left-hand ground floor window is now,
and opened straight into the main downstairs room,
which had a a range in the fireplace. Later
extensions included the laundry (behind the 1960s
conservatory), its chimney is visible in the 1950s
photo beginning this page, and a dairy on the north
side. A first floor extension required alterations
to the roof which are still visible inside.
It may have acquired its dramatic
chimneys in the 1870s when it belonged to the
Bylaugh estate. The Norfolk architect Thomas Jeckyll
was employed to remodel farms on the estate.
The chimneys and window frames are
typical of the designs Jeckyll specified for the
larger farmhouses like Manor Farm, Hoe and Field
House, Swanton Morley.
Estate agent's photograph, 1977. Sue and Dick Malt
bought the house from Margaret (Peggy) Butterﬁeld.
Spring Farm Barn
Spring Farm barn before conversion, 1977. The
corrugated iron fence enclosed a cattle yard and
sheds. Opposite was a four-bay cart shed.
Stroulger family moving into the Barn, 1984.
Harry Malt helping Leila unload
Stroulger checking his bees, 1991.